Friday, October 28, 2011

Good bye Mayfield - We Are Going to Miss You!!!

So, after enjoying the Mayfield Dairy Visitor's Center for the last six years, today was our final visit. The center is closing for economic reasons and I knew we had to make one final trip to our favorite Braselton hot spot. Over the years a trip to Mayfield has been a fun surprise, a reward for good behavior, or a celebration spot for the last day of school. No matter the reason for visiting we have always been served good ice cream and a GREAT time. Thank you Mayfield for the family memories - my family will always be grateful for your influence in our community!

A quick walk down memory lane...
Pop was always eager to meet us here for a sweet treat on a warm summer day.



It is only fitting that Pop and Gaga met us here today for our final ice cream cone. When we started coming a scoop was $0.50, now it is $1.50 for a kids scoop and $2.50 for a regular size single scoop - inflation anyone???








Maggie, the cow, was added last year for the kids to "milk" while inside the shop.



On my last walk through the gift shop I spotted this last book of the Mayfield Family Story. I was so surprised that it was still there - I am certain it must have been looked over and left just for me. Scottie Mayfield was at the shop today and he was so generous to sign the book for me and pose for a picture with the kids. He also went through the book and told me several memorable things about the family. What a great company and, for the record, Scottie doesn't want the Visitor's Center to close, but it isn't his decision since Mayfield sold to Dean Food Company in 1990.

As I was wiping my tears (yes, I know it is crazy, but I got a bit emotional) Scottie Mayfield gave me a big smile and said "we don't want to close either - it is a sad day for us as well."

One last climb on the tree out front.

Mayfield Dairy Visitor's Center - you have given my family some fun times and memories that will last a lifetime. For that I will be forever grateful.

No comments: